Tuesday, August 26, 2014

MEDIA TRAINING: Relax, You Can Become a Quote Machine Too!

 
Are You Truly "Quotable?"
How many interviews have you done?  How many quotes have you seen in print in the days following the interview?

Are you proud of them?  Did they serve your goals?  Would they make somebody go "hmmm" in a positive way?

These are just some of the questions I've asked myself, and ask others as well, after they finish doing an interview.

Consistently, people are most nervous before the tape recorder ever goes on or the question ever comes from the reporter's mouth.

Nervousness is common, and real.  I admit to thinking about what I'll say and how I'll say it.  But in most cases, it's after I spent time anticipating what was - potentially - coming my way.

Anticipate the Questions

I've had the pleasure of working with some real "pros" when it comes to pushing out the message and being engaging in the process.  It's not easy and the good or great ones make it look that way.

Here's the key in four words for me:

* Anticipate
* Prepare
* Relax
* Deliver


Lastly, you can never underestimate the importance of stepping into a media interview relaxed.  And only then can you truly "deliver."  Nerves and anxiety don't lead to good sound bites or clear messaging.  True ... much of that comes through knowing your material and feeling good about the direction of the questions and your messaging.  But I can tell you this for sure... a few laughs and some casual conversation before any interview - be it with journalists, co-workers or familiar faces is a huge help.  In other words, do your preparation and then "let it go" and focus on your delivery. 
 
A relaxed person delivers conversation, not calculated commentary.  And for me, I'll always put my money on the conversationalist to deliver the best sound bite or quote.  He's more open, less guarded, and more real.  To me, if you know your material, and you can find your way into the "delivery room" with a smile on your face, that's the way to reading your quotes with pride and ownership - and making an impact in the process.

Worthy of Reading?  Or Headed for Trash?
Don't let your interview get tossed in the trash or turned into a paper airplane that's unworthy of anyone's short attention span.  Make them read it and make them take notice.


Thanks so much for reading this blog and sharing with others.  I always welcome your thoughts and you can do that here or directly to me on Twitter @KraigKann


Thought of the Day: Your next business partnership could come from the results of your next media interview.  The message you deliver is a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment