Monday, July 30, 2012

BRANDING: Ideas... and VALUE Ideas



 What's your "business fingerprint?"
Once upon a time, a boss I respected as much or more than any I had in my television career told me I was an “ideas guy.”  At the time, all I wanted was to be known as the best television host I could be.  But I took a lot from it.... appreciating the comment.  I always felt as though I brought things to the table in the form of trying to make shows different…. not just ordinary.  If that meant people suggesting you had put a "fingerprint" on the team's product - great.  We all want to provide value.

The goal I had for my career in television was the idea of being different and unique from others.  It’s not easy to do, and I’m not suggesting that I stood above competition to reach the top of the ladder.  Standing out is completely different.  In my opinion everyone should try to bring something different to the table.  Just try.

These days I work for the LPGA (@LPGA) as Chief Communications Officer.  It’s something far different from what I did in television… but yet much of it is the same.  Communication messages, promotional ideas, and trying to add new value are the biggest part of the role as I see it.

Could YOUR Idea Add Real Value?
In television… you do show after show after show.  And you spend a lot of time re-selling the same idea.  But you need to do it in a different way…. spin a new web.

In communications, we search daily for new and different ways to sell and re-sell the product.  How something was done before doesn’t mean it will achieve the same success if sold the same way today.  To me there is no option but to stand out – IF you want success.  Success for any company or brand comes from authenticity and getting folks to be active followers and promoters as well. A successfully executed idea creates what some call a "tribe."
 
Everyone has ideas.  Some are good and some are not so good.  That's ok.  It really doesn’t matter who brings them or where the come from.  Ten ideas may lead to one great idea that adds to the cause.  Sharing is key.

For me the goal is to bring an idea of “value.”  Everyone has THAT somewhere inside. 

A "value idea?"  Something that provides true benefit.  It’s something that adds to the growth or being of something else – or - someone else.  Most importantly.... it generates
excitement, momentum and the potential of a following.
In social media… there is tweeting, and “value tweeting” which gives people something that can help their cause.   Some tweet to talk about the fact that they are going to the movies.  Others may give a review of the movie that gives others perspective before they spend their money. Ideas are the same... they get people moving in a direction - hopefully toward a successful outcome. 

We live in a society of short attention spans and clutter and confusion.  So my advice is that if you have something of value to say – by all means, say it – and make it a worthwhile presentation.  The benefits could lead to success for everyone around you.

Follow Kraig on Twitter:  @KraigKann

No comments:

Post a Comment