Saturday, September 1, 2012

Opinion: Why College Sports Grows





New Look Mizzou - I'm ready
     On the heels of an announced contract extension for the athletic director (Mike Alden) at my Alma mater, and just hours away from a kick-off that I've waited for since.... well, the final gun of Mizzou's Independence Bowl win against North Carolina (yes, we were there) last December....I've decided to talk college football... and the pride that goes with college sports.

College Pageantry

     Hey, everyone else is!  It's been the big talk all week.  How soon before Alabama and Michigan go toe-to-toe in Arlington, TX?  How soon before Boise visits Sparty?  Is Urban Meyer really back on the sideline? Mike Leach is at Washington State??  Even Western Michigan fans had reason for big optimism with the return of a quarterback in Alex Carder who could hold several school records before the end of the season. At this point, everyone has dreams of a Bowl Season. 

If you know me... or my twitter account... or have followed this blog.. you know I went to the University of Missouri.  Like most Mizzou grads these days, I bleed black and gold.  I read articles in the Columbia Tribune, I subscribe to PowerMizzou.com and am working behind the scenes to get one of the three kids under my roof to go to school there.  So far, so good.  My oldest daughter is hoping for a Mizzou cheerleader position and her twin brother who plays football and baseball is now saying "we" when referring to a big game.

    College sports equals passion.  College sports equals tradition.  Professional football makes older men wear jerseys.  College football makes everyone in the family wear the colors.

    In today's economy, there are choices to make.  People give up certain things but stick with the things that are most important to them.  Tailgating and Saturdays in front of the television are tough to give up. 


New Look Faurot Field in 2015
    Tonight, I'll drop money on a pay-per-view game between Mizzou and SE Louisiana.  Its the first game on a new field, with a new conference affiliation... new helmets, new uniforms, and a celebration of a newly approved $200 million upgrade on facilities that will be done by 2015.

    Two weeks ago... I rolled through Columbia during a busy travel week for a day spent at the University.  I toured the campus with one of my best friends (who happens to be a former quarterback at MU), watched practice as an "invited guest" inside the stadium and talked with Coach Gary Pinkel, visited the football offices and facilities, and ate at some of the old campus spots that never really get old.  An added travel headache for most... for me it was a pleasure.
Watching Practice August 16th

"Chased" a national title
    Yes, I spend a few dollars in the bookstore (my kids had an "over-under" on cash out of pocket, and the Tiger Spirit store - all to get properly ready for the season which is now upon us. This is the time of year when I tweet about games, during games, after games etc.  I talk about games that were and games that will be.  And I didn't even go to Alabama or Michigan or Ohio State or...... Florida.

     To be honest... I'm proud of what Missouri has become.  We won 12 games during my four years at school from 1984-88.  A few years back with Chase Daniel at the helm under Gary Pinkel we won 12 games in one season.  Now we've gone SEC... and many are ready to say we can't compete.  That's fine by me... it's good to be in the conversation.  Step up... or step out of the spotlight.  My how things have changed.

     College sports is about pride for your school... an attachment to an alumni base and a campus that you just don't get with the NFL.  It's about the hope that ESPN College Gameday will visit your campus as it did for us in 2010 on a memorable Saturday capped by a huge win against Oklahoma.  And its about the belief that your school will challenge for a national title.

    Tonight, SE Louisiana... next week our first game in the SEC as top-10 Georgia visits.  Tickets to games in Orlando against UCF, Gainesville against the mighty Gators already secured.  One game at a time, I know.... but the flag is outside today, and I'm wearing my black and gold today.... just as you might be wearing your colors.  It really doesn't get any better.  M-I-Z.......

Tell me about your college passion.... and Follow me on Twitter  @KraigKann
    

No comments:

Post a Comment