Tuesday, July 30, 2013

MEDIA TRAINING: Just the FACTS Please



 
What Can the Media Do for YOU?
  I’ll go on record right here… the most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job/career over the last five years has been Media Training.  But here’s the thing…. I really don’t want it to be called “Media Training” as that sounds so, well…. making up a word here – “lecturrish.”  I like to refer to it as "Media Awareness Seminars."
   Prior to joining the LPGA as Chief Communications Officer in 2011, I spent the better part of two years combining my role at Golf Channel with a self-started side business (HTK Media) where I’d work with athletes, coaches and executives on finding ways to succeed where there were media opportunities.  Greatly rewarding - especially when people come to you after a seminar saying they've learned things they hadn't even thought about prior to that hour or two hour session.
   Today, I’m dedicated to LPGA business and we spend a lot of time and energy on professional development of our players – and staff too – on media awareness and how to maximize opportunities presented through the media.
   This year alone we’ve spent group and individual time at both the LPGA and Symetra Tour (pipeline to the LPGA) levels.
   Why do I enjoy the topic so much?  For me, it’s an opportunity to share my experiences in television, radio and print – helping others to see how success in the media can pay big dividends.  Many don’t have an understanding of what’s in front of them… and most don’t understand the value of having a plan before they speak.
   Success with the media to me starts with some facts…. or beliefs.



Facts:
* The Media Needs You More Than You Think
* Media Shapes Your Image
* In Business and Sports Media Attention Comes with the Territory
* Today’s Media is Much Bigger Than You May Remember
* Media Always Gets the Last Word

My Beliefs:
* You Should Want It
* You Must Capitalize on Opportunities
* You can't Afford a Slip-Up 

 
Today's "Media" includes a Huge Network
   In the simplest of terms… most think the media is “full of itself,” slanting every story and serving itself above the audience.
   I’m not here to argue.  What I will ask is this.  Do you respect power?  Do you or does your company seek to grow and be recognized?  If the answer is yes… then consider appreciating the media for what it can give you instead of ridiculing it for what has or may have done. 
   My line of work is all about raising awareness and growing a platform.  Given that, I’ll be darned if I’m not going to work to succeed with those who can help me achieve.

   Thanks so much for following this blog.  I appreciate your comments and the insight and feedback you provide here and also on Twitter by following me @KraigKann.

Thought for the Day:  Are you hoping to grow your profile or stake your claim among the “influentials?”  Today’s media provides an opportunity to do both - if - you know how to win the media game.



No comments:

Post a Comment