Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Celebrating Something Good

      Let's see...a sports agent admits to throwing money at college players... and Brett Farve's name is being thrown around in a big scandal.  Water cooler topics? Yes.  Positive headlines? Hardly.
    Which points me to a moment of positive reflection about family and the game of golf.
    Last weekend... caught in a long day of travel... I received a call that my grandfather had passed away at the age of 96.
    Four months ago.. before his slide... he was still a gym rat.  A month or so ago.... when I went to visit for what would be the last time... he told me "no regrets, no need for worries... I've had a great life."
    Well, in living his to the fullest, he's made mine pretty good as well.  Bill Harvey was the guy who got me into golf... who took me to the par 3 course as a kid.. and eventually my first full 18 holes and a round of 123.
     There is no question that I wouldn't be at Golf Channel as a guy who enjoys covering the game and talking about the game... if not for the passion he had for playing.  He watched almost every time he knew I was on - often calling to talk about the tournament, or to tell me that the shirt, tie and jacket went together just right.
    Bottom line... my love for golf came from his love for me. And while I'm not going to tell you I know everything.. I do know this... taking time now with your kids or your grandkids...or even your great grandkids (my kids realize how lucky they are)..... makes for even better memories later.

* His passing is why this blog has been a bit slow of late.  I appreciate all of you who spend time reading what I have to say.  I'll be away at his upcoming Memorial Service.
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment