Sunday, October 24, 2010

PROUD TO BE A TIGER! Why College FB Rules


GABBERT DID IT!  
Tonight... the Missouri Tigers did what we graduates and we faithful fans dreamed they could do, but hadn't.  Tonight, Blaine Gabbert did what Brad Smith and Chase Daniel had the chance to do but couldn't.  Tonight, Tiger fans like me yelled and texted, and jumped on Facebook with chants of M-I-Z...... Z-O-U... that before... we just wouldn't.

Tonight, the Missouri Tigers are 7-0 for the first time in 50 years.  This morning, the campus opened up the Francis Quadrangle at 3:30 a.m. for the best reason in forever. 

Tonight, my phone blew up, and my mind was officially blown because Gary Pinkel's team blew me away.  From the opening kick-off by Gahn McGaffie - who's forever known now as "Gone" McGaffie... the Tigers were ready for everything.  It's the third time this season the Tigers have come from behind in the 4th quarter to win a game - the most in a single season.  It's the first time the Tigers have had a defense this good since I can remember.

YES... YES! 
    Friends, when I was at Mizzou from 1984-88, the Tigers won 12 games - TOTAL.  And I remember a speed limit sign that read "Speed Limit 55 - Mizzou 0."  Right now, for at least a week, the Tigers are a limitless group of recruits who've been molded into the most lovable bunch in years.  The Head Coach Gary Pinkel might have the personality of statue, but after this win, chances are they'll erect one in front of the stadium that he's re-named "THE ZOU."  He's turned the program completely around - tonight made it official because he finally got a win over "mighty" Oklahoma.
   Tonight - whether you are a Tiger fan or not - is reason enough to prove that College Football makes the NFL seem like stale gum.  The atomosphere of screaming fans, solid gold shirts, a never-ending wave of arms and people is unlike anything the NFL can generate.  College pride is forever.  And it shows.
Best Backdrop Ever?
   The college game is also great because of College GameDay... which showed up for the first time this week and drew a reported record crowd of more than 18,000.

18,000 Reported for ESPN GameDay
  Whether the numbers are true or not.... Tiger fans showed just how much it means to have a college program that wins.  Tonight, was a payoff for never being in a conversation about a BCS playoff.  For being a team that's liked, but not loved by the national media.  Tonight was a night for all the adults who showed up at games when they were just games and not "events."  Tonight was a night that all the kids who showed up to see ESPN's show will never forget. Tonight was a happening that none of us had ever seen happen.



A NEW GENERATION
 Tonight was for all the fraternity brothers and sorority sisters who made floats and house decorations for Homecomings that didn't have the real build-up or the real impact. Tonight was a night for where all the posts on PowerMizzou.com paid off.  Tonight was a night for all the Journalism grads to put their football team ahead of their degree.

Tonight, I'm proud to be a Tiger Fan.... I watched every play, checked every Tweet, answered every text and had my fingers crossed all the way.  Tiger fans can understand.  Those who go to Oklahoma and Nebraska... and Florida and Alabama... and Texas and USC... and Ohio State and Michigan haven't had the good fortune of extended misfortune.  And I say that proudly... because all of that is what makes all of this night and this 36-27 win over BCS #1 OU feel so good.  And what makes College Football better than any sport there is.


36-27 Victory Made THIS Sign a "Keepsake"

I can't wait to use my tickets at Arrowhead in November... the Tigers play Kansas in a battle that may or may not mean much in the National Championship chase. For now, I couldn't care any less.  For now, I'm a proud Tiger.... who lives and dies for every bit of good news... for every day my kids willingly wear the black and gold...  and for every post on my favorite Tiger chat board.  And I know I'm not alone.  M - I - Z............ by now I think everyone knows the rest.

* images courtesy kcstar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment