Monday, April 23, 2012

PERSONAL: On the Road, With a Purpose

Hi Everyone -

Been a while since I posted something.  Been a lot of travel as well in the new role as LPGA Chief Communications Officer. It's been almost eight months since I left Golf Channel to help make a difference with the LPGA.  The transition has been smooth.. learned more in 7 months that I could have imagined.

1. The LPGA property is an under-valued product
2. The LPGA players are under-valued commodities
3. The fans of the LPGA are tried and true and want more
4. Reaching our goals is definitely possible as long as we stay realistic
5. I've got a LOT more to learn

This year... I've been on more trips than I took in my last two years at Golf Channel.  But every trip has a purpose beyond "putting on a good show."  Our goal is to create new energy and deliver on the promise that we'll be a good fan experience and a good partner for our sponsors.  Five new tournaments are on the schedule with growing television exposure and prize money.  But those are just numbers... which hopefully will grow.

The job I now have is to give our tour and its players a better understanding of how the media works and how it can help us grow.  So many people today are intimidated by the media.  The run scared when the thought of a tough topic or touch question comes at them.  Huge mistake... and in fact those are the greatest opportunities of them all.  In the face of adversity comes the best chance to change someone's belief or opinion.  Commissioner Mike Whan did that the minute he took his job... and I'm trying to give everyone who's had a previous image in their head something new to focus on.

What am I most proud of?  Probably the quote from my right-hand man in LPGA Communications, Mike Scanlan... who said recently... "Kraig, we've never been this busy."  That's a huge compliment to the tour and the new energy and buzz surrounding our star players and the growing platform.

With Stacy Lewis, KPMG CEO John Veihmeyer, LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan
I know one thing for sure... this tour is and always will be about the players.  They drive the bus... but you have to give them a message and show them the best avenue to deliver it.  I'm really excited about the new Player Communications Committee I've created.  The eight players represent the tour so well, and their energy to provide feedback and counsel to me in this role will be huge.  So a big thanks to Christina Kim, Brittany Lincicome, Stacy Lewis, I.K. Kim, Karen Stupples, Azahara Munoz, Paige Mackenzie and Michelle Wie.  They'll have a big say-so in how I present new ideas and how we deliver our key message points to the media.

Speaking at RR Donnelley Founders Cup Media Day
I really enjoy the public speaking that comes with the job... and the chance to "media train" the rookies and veterans alike about how best to position their brand and our brand is something I'll be focusing on as the summer months go along.  Perhaps the highlight trip thus far... in addition to meeting with our tournaments about how they can use the media to ramp up their individual events.... is my trip to Microsoft in Washington a few months back.  Their corporate leadership loves the LPGA and they wanted me to share our communication ideas and some of my own based on my professional career.  To say the least.. I was flattered, and I took it as a huge win for the LPGA that they noticed how "its different out here" these days.

To that end, yes, the HTK Media business is still a part of my focus... as consulting, seminars on communications and motivational speaking about the importance of "standing out" in the corporate world, sports world etc. is something I really enjoy.  Every audience is a chance to spread the word and help people so I hope I'll get the chance to visit more universities and corporations in the coming months. 

More coming... good to be back on the blog scene!  I welcome your comments and thoughts always - hope to have the stage to speak to your group too!

No comments:

Post a Comment