Saturday, February 9, 2013

PROFESSIONAL: Preparedness

   It's been a while for sure ... good to get back to it!   Just made my first trip of the year for LPGA business.  Good three days in Denver.  During the last few months, I've been doing a lot of thinking, a lot of note taking and trying to re-focus energy for the year ahead.
    One of the keys for me this year will be one word... "preparedness."  Doesn't matter if its a meeting  I'm sitting in, a meeting I'm leading or a phone call to someone who can have an effect on me or company business.

    Here's three questions I've asked myself of late;

1. Am I ready for the week?  By this I mean, "have I organized my thoughts from the week that passed and have I determined exactly what's important for the week ahead."  I can't help it... most of the time my brain is stuck in overdrive.  I'm thinking about what worked, what didn't ....and how I worked.  New ideas come fast which can be a good thing and a bad thing as well.  Which one's are the most important?  Which one's are worthy of attention.  That's what I need to zero in on this year and that is one of my key goals.

2. Am I ready for the people?  Let's face it, you are only as good as those around you and if you're not good for them than who ARE you good for?  Being prepared to help others with a clearly defined plan and helping them to have every opportunity to succeed is important to me.  I've worked with enough people who expected a lot but didn't provide guidance or vision or resources to help them cross the finish line.  How can I make sure people are finding their own succes? That is huge for me and a great challenge too.

3. Am I ready for production?  If you're going to expect results, then you'd better have a good plan.  Which things are most important.  And I mean MOST important.  I want to accomplish a lot - always have.  What I want to get better at - as I think we all should - is to pinpoint the items that make the biggest impact and then work to achieve those with the most energy.  Production comes with a plan... and energy for action....not just a bunch of meetings.

Imagine a cruise ship captain without a compass, or point guard without any idea of the plays he or she is supposed to run.  We're all in charge of our destiny.  Getting there doesn't just happen ... which brings me back to "preparedness."

What can I do this week to make a difference?  How about just today?  Now... am I ready... or am I just "winging it?"  And what about you?

As always, I'd love your thoughts... and thanks for reading and sharing this blog.

Line of the Day:  Success and failure can happen before you even make the effort.  What's your mindset?


Follow me @KraigKann

No comments:

Post a Comment