Sunday, March 31, 2013

PERSONAL: 3 Things I've Learned About the LPGA

New LPGA Fans Every Week


    Maybe you’re a fan.  Maybe you’ve been a fan but found less time.  Maybe you’ve never found the time in the first place.  No matter where you fit, we’re working to find you a new space.

   When I accepted the position of Chief Communications Officer back in 2011, the challenge of managing day-to-day media and communications took a big backseat to the blank canvas to grow media exposure and create new opportunities that showcase the tour and its events and players.

    I’ve mentioned it to many… as I get asked a lot about the tour and “what it’s really like.”  No question, working on the “inside” is a lot different than covering it from the “outside” as a member of the media.  Probably no different than watching baseball on ESPN, and actually knowing a few ballplayers who can tell you what it’s like every day in the clubhouse.
Players Give Back And Promote


    Hey, I’m not sharing secrets here… as some about the success recipe stay in house…. but here are three things that come top of mind every time I get asked.

* The players really are accessible.  We promote that a lot.  And I feel quite safe in saying that we wouldn’t promote something that wasn’t real.  My job is a lot about player relationships and an understanding of what works, what can be improved and what we can do together to improve the brand.  I get “yes” for an answer far more often than I get a “no.”  And if I get a “no” there’s a really good reason it can’t work – and most always another option of when it might.  They are willing to promote and in fact, Commissioner Mike Whan and our team smile a lot about how players are actually taking ownership of media relations to a higher degree.  A Player Communications Committee we created involves eight high profile players from all parts of our tour…. all  willing to look outside what’s been “the norm.”  Ideas flow at our dinner meetings… and those ideas play a big part in how I lead our communications team. 

Up Close and Memories that Last


* Partners get the five star treatment.  And not just during tournament week.  That’s not to say that other sports don’t treat their sponsors or marketing partners as part of the company.  What I can tell you is that before we join hands with a partner, we’re working to make sure the relationship works for them.  As a member of the Golf Channel on-air team for 17 years, I know what it’s like to speak about the week’s presenting sponsor or a network advertiser.  At the LPGA, we’re working every day to find new ideas that make their business better because of the relationship with our business.  It’s not the other way around.  If we can showcase our players, and tie in a few corporate execs and their customers in the same event – that’s a win.  And when we get a “win”… we’ll talk about it.

Online Fan Chats are Growing @LPGA
* It’s all about the experience.  The experience inside our building is really impressive.  I mean it when I tell people that I’ve learned more in my last 12 months than I might have in my last 12 years of television.  Different backgrounds, different departments and a huge passion to share and build something new and unique has been great.  The experiences with players and how they interact with fans has been really eye-opening. I never saw that from the studio.   A good friend of mine played in our Pro-Am at the CME Group Titleholders a couple years ago and told me “in all my years in golf and business, that’s my best golf experience.”  He didn’t have to say it.  But he lived it.  We do what we call 9 & 9 pro-ams on occasion where you get two professionals – each for nine holes.  That gives you two experiences instead of one.  And our players definitely get the importance of that experience.  They know who the “customer” is.

    Some pretty good things are happening these days at the LPGA.  Our marketing campaign is “See Why It’s Different Out Here.”  Ratings are up almost 60% over the last two years for North American events on Golf Channel.  We’ve added 8 new events in the last two years and some terrific new partners.

    But the bottom line in all of that… is giving people a chance to see it for real. 
The Fan Experience
Television is only a part of our momentum.  The fans are another part… and 

while our social media numbers have doubled in the last year… I’m going to get real satisfaction when fans stop me on site – maybe this week at our first major the Kraft Nabisco Championship - to tell me that it really does feel different.

    Thanks as always for following me on this space.  I always welcome your comments here... and share thoughts about the LPGA on twitter @LPGA, on our Official LPGA Facebook page…. or to me @KraigKann.

Thought of the Day:  If you’re doing something the same year after year, expect the competition to pass you by.  Always find new ways to make people take notice. 

* (photos courtesy LPGA)

No comments:

Post a Comment