Friday, May 3, 2013

PROFESSIONAL: Emails and Unproductive Paper Trails

   
Are Emails a Sense Of Accomplishment?
Is there anybody out there who really is able to empty their "inbox" at the end of a busy day?  And what degree of real accomplishment is that for you?

   People ask me a lot about "what's different" in my new job role compared to the world of television.  It's quite simple.... it's the difference between being "ON"... and being "ON TOP OF."    Every day in television seems like a new day.  New rundown, new show... new thirty minutes.  Show's over.. head for home, unwind, watch a bit of TV, read a book or magazine... and go to bed.  Next day... fresh start.  Its really the way of the new 24 hour news cycle we live in.

   Every day in my new world is a day to stay on top of things.

       Issues
       People
       Schedules
       Meetings
       Tournaments
       Media requests
       Media opportunties
       EMAIL

   I think its fair to say that in 18 months on the job as Chief Communications Officer of the LPGA, I've sifted through as many emails as I did in 18 years at GOLF CHANNEL.  Or, at least it seems that way.
Trying to Shoot Way to More Productivity
  Not a problem... just a work adjustment.  And I'll admit, that I much prefer face-to-face or phone-to-phone over inbox to inbox.  It's an interesting world we live in these days... most kids live by text and most professional adults communicate by email.   Here's two things I think could make a world of difference in people's business practice and business success.  Things that have nothing to do with typing, and sending.

      Make two important phone calls a day.  And if you have to schedule it via email... do so.  But don't do the selling, buying or communicating that way.  In fact, I rarely leave a message with the true details of my reason for calling.  I think it prevents people from responding.  If one of the calls leads to something positive for both sides, you've had a good day.  If nothing else, you've made the effort to build a relationship.
     
Meetings allow for Relationships
 Schedule at least one meeting a day.  I know what you're thinking.... meetings?!!!   Yep.  And if you have that attitude in the first place... that may just be your problem.  Find a way to be organized, find a way to give people a chance to celebrate successes and give people a chance to weigh in on future direction.  I firmly believe that the best outcome is the result of a menu being created ... not a meal being served.
   Don't get me wrong... emails serve a purpose.  They're a great way to stay in contact and deliver short messages.  But they're also a way to clog up your day of productivity.  And believe me, I know when I've let email get the best of me.  I'm sure you do too. So find a way to distract yourself from the clutter and create things that move the needle.  At the end of the day... we're all hired to make a real difference - let's find a way to focus on that.

Thought for the Day:  Life is built on relationships.  It's pretty tough to build a good one over a computer.

   Follow me on Twitter @KraigKann and share your thoughts via Twitter and also on this blog.  Thanks for sharing and helping this blog to grow bigger by the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment