Sunday, May 5, 2013

MEDIA RELATIONS: Are You Working Toward "WOW?"



 
  
Working toward a Stand Out Idea?
   Name one person that doesn’t like a good compliment. Or someone who doesn't like to be noticed for good work.   Name one person who wouldn’t like to go home and say “guess what!”   How often do you see something on television... or driving down the street and stop.... and pay complete attention?  In effect, you just paid something a compliment by turning your attention in that direction.  And business today is about recognition.. and awareness.



     Just the same, today’s media landscape is really crowded.  Every newspaper has competition for “space” and every newscast has competition for “minutes” or even “seconds” devoted to a particular story.  Every show has a rating attached to it.  Every viewing... and every viewer counts.



     In the world of media relations, one of the keys to success is finding a way to cut through the clutter with an idea that hits home.... or a story that sells itself.  So call it a "guess what story."



    Three things I preach to our LPGA (@LPGA) communications team about ideas?  Here we go. 

We Work to Spotlight Good Ideas



         We’re nothing without them!  If you don’t have ideas, you don’t have much of a chance to make a difference.  Sometimes I have too many.  Sometimes I wish I had more.  No matter what, I like being inundated with ideas. I want a constant flow. From there, we sift.


      Don’t wait for people to take notice.  Make them take notice.  Do it by being extraordinary in your idea and your delivery.  Figure out a way to be different than the competition… and then over-deliver on what you believe makes your idea special. 

     If the idea doesn’t have a chance to create a “wow,” then drop it quick.  In other words, don’t waste time on things that aren’t going to move the needle. 

Is There a "WOW Factor" to Your Idea?


    I had a conversation recently with a key executive who partners with our team to build brand exposure and media exposure.  He’s a big thinker and a guy I really value as a “checks and balance” for my ideas.  I told him I wanted to “swing for the fences” without fear of mistakes with the goal of hitting a few jackpots.  This comes with risk that we’ll strike out a few times.  And I am completely good with that.



    A few years ago, on a consulting assignment for HTK Media (@HTKmedia), I spent the better part of two days working to help a particular organization find it’s strengths and then create ways to make people take notice.  In other words… we worked to create a “wow factor.”  So, ask yourself this… what could a “wow” do for you or your business.  And then remember, it only takes one to shape opinion.  If it's the right one... it could give you or your company the boost it needs!



   Thanks for following and sharing this blog with others.  On Twitter you can follow me @KraigKann.  I appreciate the comments and feedback as it shapes the topics I discuss.



Thought of the day: Don’t wait for people to take notice.  Work every day toward actually doing something worth paying attention to.

No comments:

Post a Comment