Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PUBLIC SPEAKING: Why You Should Pace Yourself

    
Podium is YOUR space... What's YOUR Plan?
I stood up in front of a terrific audience recently... had plenty to say and immediately broke one of the "golden rules" of public speaking.  I apologized before I even began!  Completely a no-no... as you'd never want to give people the impression that something was wrong or you were "off your game."  It's like warning people that a wreck is coming.


    But I did it on purpose... and told them I was breaking my own rule. I'd been thinking all afternoon about what I was going to talk about ... and even while sitting at the table waiting to be introduced. I had plenty of thoughts (all good) about things I wanted to cover.  In fact, I was completely revved up to speak, engage and excite about the LPGA's new International Crown event that debuts next year at Caves Valley Golf Club. With a smile and a laugh...  I "apologized" that I might forget a few things.. and get off track given the number of things to share in about 20 minutes.  Sometimes I use note cards to put a few bullet points down to remember.  This time.. I wanted to go without... be natural and focus on energy.
My focus was Energy & Engagement

    Needless to say... I didn't get off track... covered my topics and all seemed to go well.  Here's why I bring this up.... speakers are usually under a time limit, have several things they'd like to cover, and would like to leave the audience with a good impression.  My answer is simple.  Pace yourself.  And there are good reasons.

    Audiences have an attention span.  But only for so long.  You know it and I know it.  In fact, we've all lived it.  You'll pay attention to things... up and until the speaker loses his or her enthusiasm or begins to ramble or get sidetracked.

    Your information needs to be remembered and hopefully re-delivered.  Energy is tough to maintain... no matter how long the speech. Using too much energy too quickly can leave you out of gas when you have other points to sell or need some in the tank for the big finish.  If you expect your audience to have a solid "take home effect" ... then figure out your key points and make sure you've got the ability to drive them home.

   You get one chance at a first and last impression.   Better nail both.  Every news story or movie has a goal of a dynamic or compelling start... and a big finish that leaves you with something to remember.  Nobody wants to start slow and end with a thud.  So make sure you come out of the gate strong and cross the finish line with your best energy.  

Hook Audience Early... Finish Strong

     When it comes to public speaking, there's nothing better than seeing smiles and signs of engagement.  You can tell when you're not connected with your audience.  The goal is to hook em' early... reel em' in for the long haul and send them off with a lasting impression.  So the next time you've got a speech to make... make sure you've got a clear beginning that makes them sit up straight and a few key moments throughout that leave them remembering your key deliverable topic points.  Keeping pace... will make your talks more memorable, create more opportunities... and keep you in the speaking game for the long haul

    Follow me on Twitter @KraigKann... and please keep sharing on this blog or on twitter.  If you've got a topic you'd like me to share thoughts on... send it my way!

    Thought for the Day: Work hard to make your audience engaged.  And remember... your job is to make them leave wanting more and remembering that you were the speaker in the first place.





No comments:

Post a Comment